Academic Writing in German
Studying or working academically in the German-speaking world not only requires a high-level knowledge of German, you also need to master the rules and conventions of academic writing in German. This course will teach you techniques and skills that will enable you to write better texts and express your expertise with linguistic quality. From presentations and reviews to academic term papers, doctoral theses or project papers – at the end of the course you will be able to produce clearly structured, understandable and also engaging academic texts in German.
For more information and course prerequisites, please see:
- Syllabus and course video of Dr. Marita Meyer (courses in Spring / Fall)
- Syllabus and course video of Dr. Anja Richter (courses in Summer)
650 € Course Fee
75 € Registration Fee
Receive a discount of 75 € on your registration for a second course! Find out more under Fees & Registration.
What you will gain from this course:
- Confidence in text production in German through practical tips and helpful phrases
- Familiarity with the German scientific style and academic conventions in writing scientific papers
- Maximum flexibility for continuing education alongside studies or a job
- A certificate of continuing education from Freie Universität Berlin
This is the perfect course for you if you are…
- looking for a compact introduction to writing elegant and interesting academic texts in German
- a non-native speaker of German and want to study, do a PhD, conduct research, teach, or work administratively at a university in a German-speaking country
- planning to work as a specialized journalist in German or publish your academic work in German-language journals
- collaborating with German-speaking academics
What you should bring to the course:
- German language abilities in speaking and writing on the Upper Intermediate level (at least B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
- The willingness and ability to participate and actively contribute to the weekly live sessions of this course
- A high motivation to write and the courage to make mistakes (in order to learn from them)
- A stable internet connection and a quiet work environment
To find out if your German skills are sufficient to follow the course, feel free to watch the following course teaser videos above.
Please also familiarize yourself with our further technical and general requirements and our Program Regulations and Code of Conduct (PDF).
Any Questions? Send an email to email@example.com.